This last weekend Dave & I got to get away for a few days & spend some time at the beach :) My dad's side does a family reunion here every summer and have for as long as I can remember. I was so excited for it this summer, mainly to just get away.
When we got there though, I completely forgot why I had been excited. We don't stay in any nice resort for this reunion...
we CAMP.
I seriously wish I could be one of those people who loved camping. And all year long when I'm not camping and home warm in my bed, the idea of camping does sound fun.
But when I'm actually THERE, doing it, oh my gosh.
Heres me and Dave in our tent...our tiny tent, only because our air mattress was so huge it litterally was half as tall as the tent, making it a little bit squishy for us. Luckily, when we got there at 10pm on friday night, and it was cold and raining, my parents already had it all set up for us :) That helped, but I still wondered what in the world we were doing out there.
Someone told me and Dave a story a while ago about how they had a foreign exchange student from japan when they were growing up and he didnt speak hardly any english. They decided to take him camping, something this japanese kid had never done in his life. He was confused and trying to communicate something to them but they couldnt understand. Finally, they got the gist of what he was trying to say.
He was wondering WHY they go to college, work really hard, get a good job, make lots of money, buy a big house....
and sleep OUTSIDE for fun?
I completely feel like that japanese boy.
We made it through the rainy night, and woke up to the awful birds. No, i'm not being a negative nature hater.
If it was like on the movies when the chirping birds were a peaceful sound, I would feel different.
But these birds, I dont even want to call the birds, they are like phsycotic screeching vultures, REALLY LOUD, right in your EARS from the time the sun comes up, until you finally can't take it and you just get up. It's like they know when you get out of your tent and then they stop.
ugh.
After those first 12 hours were over, the trip was pretty good. The sun came out, it was nice weather (for the oregon coast) and it was fun being able to be there with Dave & see family we hadn't seen in a while.
On Saturday we went into Newport so we could get some salt water taffy. It was nice to be able to get out of the camping enviroment for a couple hours and feel like we were back in civilization. I'm such a wimp...I seriously wish I loved it more.
I'd just rather be CLEAN.
This is the bridge we went over to get to the little town. You actually don't have to go over this bridge to get there, we just got lost. Dave thought it was a cool bridge, so now, you can see it & decide if you think its cool or not.
I don't really have an opinion on bridges.

When we got there we could hear a bunch of seals really loud, and when we walked out to the water, sure enough there were tons of them. They might be sea lions, I don't know the difference, but they were HUGE. They were just big blobs of fat laying all over eachother.
It would seriously be the worst to be a seal.
They were so funny though, and Dave pretty much perfected his seal communication skills. It was a little embarassing walking down the sidewalk, holding his hand, and having him bark like a seal.
oh the things you do for love.
Someone told me and Dave a story a while ago about how they had a foreign exchange student from japan when they were growing up and he didnt speak hardly any english. They decided to take him camping, something this japanese kid had never done in his life. He was confused and trying to communicate something to them but they couldnt understand. Finally, they got the gist of what he was trying to say.
He was wondering WHY they go to college, work really hard, get a good job, make lots of money, buy a big house....
and sleep OUTSIDE for fun?
I completely feel like that japanese boy.
We made it through the rainy night, and woke up to the awful birds. No, i'm not being a negative nature hater.
If it was like on the movies when the chirping birds were a peaceful sound, I would feel different.
But these birds, I dont even want to call the birds, they are like phsycotic screeching vultures, REALLY LOUD, right in your EARS from the time the sun comes up, until you finally can't take it and you just get up. It's like they know when you get out of your tent and then they stop.
ugh.
After those first 12 hours were over, the trip was pretty good. The sun came out, it was nice weather (for the oregon coast) and it was fun being able to be there with Dave & see family we hadn't seen in a while.
On Saturday we went into Newport so we could get some salt water taffy. It was nice to be able to get out of the camping enviroment for a couple hours and feel like we were back in civilization. I'm such a wimp...I seriously wish I loved it more.
I'd just rather be CLEAN.
This is the bridge we went over to get to the little town. You actually don't have to go over this bridge to get there, we just got lost. Dave thought it was a cool bridge, so now, you can see it & decide if you think its cool or not.
I don't really have an opinion on bridges.
When we got there we could hear a bunch of seals really loud, and when we walked out to the water, sure enough there were tons of them. They might be sea lions, I don't know the difference, but they were HUGE. They were just big blobs of fat laying all over eachother.
It would seriously be the worst to be a seal.
They were so funny though, and Dave pretty much perfected his seal communication skills. It was a little embarassing walking down the sidewalk, holding his hand, and having him bark like a seal.
oh the things you do for love.
And of course, the reason we went...the Salt Water Taffy :)
I dont even love salt water taffy THAT much, its just something you have to do.
My favorite it seeing ALL the different kinds, they seriously have EVERY flavor!
After, we headed down the the beach, and right when we got down there it got cold :(
So, we didn't stay for long, but long enough to get some pictures.
Me & my mom had fun writing all sorts of things in the sand and trying to get good pictures with the water...quite the challenge.
So, we didn't stay for long, but long enough to get some pictures.
Me & my mom had fun writing all sorts of things in the sand and trying to get good pictures with the water...quite the challenge.
I asked Dave why he never wrote love notes in the sand... so he took my stick and made this little peice of art.
Sadly, pretty much by force and not because he thinks of cute things like thing.
Still, Cute :)
That evening we spent time with the family playing games, talking by the fire, and the boys played poker litterally all night. I was waiting by the fire forever waiting for Dave to be done so we could go to bed because I was too scared to go to our tent alone.
After waiting a couple HOURS...I gave up and decided I was tired enough to risk my life.
As you can see, I survived to tell the story.
Our last day we wanted to go around all the little towns before heading home, but I felt so GROSS from living in DIRT for a couple days, that I just wanted to go home.
It's SO nice taking a hot shower after camping.
We took hot showers while we camped, but you still don't feel clean when you have to come out of the shower into DIRT.
And lastly, out salt water taffy :)...
We went a little bit overboard. Okay, I went a little bit overboard...especially for not LOVING salt water taffy. I just decided we needed a couple peices of each kind there, and then the kinds I knew I liked, I got a couple HANDFULLS....
We will probably be living off this stuff for a while :)
We will probably be living off this stuff for a while :)
No comments:
Post a Comment