8.22.2008

1 Year Anniversary in Victoria, BC

For our 1 Year Anniversary we took a little vacation & spent 4 days up in Victoria , BC & we had a blast :)
We drove up to Port Angeles , WA (yes, where Bella would go! We even got pretty close to Forks) and took the Ferry to Canada. It seemed long but I think I was just really excited to get there and I decided I don't like boats.When we started getting closer we were amazed...neither of us knew anything about Victoria, and it was the most gorgeous city I'd ever seen! We left our car in Washington & decided to be really touristy & walk everywhere, which ended up being a good idea.

This was the most gorgeous hotel...it was $1000 a night though, so it was a little out of our price range :(

This was the big parliament building right in the middle of the city, we would walk past it everyday walking to & from our hotel...it was gorgeous, and like 1000x better at night!

When we got to our hotel & getting settled in, this was brought up to our room :)
Dave had secretly asked them to bring it up, and it was AMAZING. I love cheese, its probably my favorite food. Actually I dont know.
But still, this was one of my favorite things about Canada, they have super good cheeses. And they have pretty cheese platters like this served everywhere.....it was delicious :)

After relaxing for a little we went & started to explore. Its a big city, but not too big, everything was within walking distance. There was tons of shopping & restaurants (probably my 2 favorite things) and it was so nice just being able to spend lots of time together :)

The second day we were there we decided to get a cartoon drawing of us. There were a few guys doing it down along the water, so we picked who we thought was the best.
It was SO hard sitting there smiling for like 20 minutes straight. I couldnt even sit still, every 5 seconds the guy would have to tell me to move back to how I was. I didn't know it would be so hard but it was worth it :)

Later in the day we walked up to some Historical Castle or something (history = not my favorite)
It ended up being a really long walk, we had to take a few breaks :/


The castle was actually really pretty and really big, but it kinda creeped me out. I think it was haunted....

We spent the rest of the day exploring & shopping...
The next day was our actual anniversary!
When we got out of the shower these were brought up to our room...

They were the most delicious chocolate covered strawberries EVER. Oh my gosh. Canada just has good everything.

We relaxed at the hotel for a little while (meaning, watched the olympics)

And then headed out for more shopping & exploring! It seemed like we had seen the whole city on the first day but everyday we would find new places, it was so fun :)
Dave found this Britain Candy Store, and they ended up having a bunch of stuff from Scotland in there.
He got so excited, it was cute, he just wanted to buy everything because it reminded him of Scotland.
This was his favorite, I think..
IRN BRU

He was so excited about this, he drank it up so fast. He said it wasn't even good, he just loved the memory :)


This was our most disturbing find. Although its a gorgeous, clean city, its still just a city. Lots of homeless people and lots of weirdos.
And speaking of the homeless people, Dave ended up giving a lot of money away to them, partially because they weren't the fake kind, and partially because Canadian Money looks like monopoly money. We didn't even feel like we were losing anything :)

Anyways, THIS:


was just on the side of the road kind of by a park. I wanted to take a picture of it the first time we saw it, but there were a bunch of scary drugees sitting right by it, and I didnt want them to think I was weird for taking a picture of their box. So we had to go back later when they were gone...but seriously, isn't that weird?!

Anyways, that night we went out to Nautical Nellies, a steak & seafood restaurant, to celebrate. We even took a taxi there, just because I had never had a taxi ride and I wanted to.
It wasn't that exciting...
Dinner was delicious though :) At least I thought so, Dave said he wasn't impressed :(



We went out to ice cream after and then it started to get cold so we didn't wanna stay out...

But we did stay out long enough to get a picture of this!
The Parliament building at night...isnt it amazing!?

Overall, the trip was amazing. We had so much fun, except for the ferry ride back, we ended up taking a smaller ferry and I got sea sick :( Ew I hate boats.
But we had SO much fun spending time together with no distractions or schedules, it was so nice :)
So now, we have officially been married OVER a year, and this 2nd year is already looking better than the last :)

11 comments:

Whitney Bennett said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to do that trip. Hopefully one day Allen will take me there

Cole and Amy said...

wow, you guys are always doing crazy exciting things! i'm so jealous. :) but i love your page and we miss you guys so much! i wonder if the u.s. could crunch together and make washington closer.

Brie said...

Victoria looks fabulous...ps, the needle thing is an off beat way to start getting the streets clean...did you have to use it?? just kidding.. loved the beautiful pics..

Casey said...

wow you guys rock! I can't believe it's already been a year. craziness.

Laura said...

Oh man i miss Canadian needle disposal units.

Amber Thompson said...

Okay so it's Daves weird cousin commenting on your page again...
So I LOVE my kids but reading your blog makes me so envious of the times we had before we had kids! Don't take it for granted.
Congrats on the one year mark! So much fun. I love the pic of you guys kissing with the sky in the background and the one of your hands on the flowers.
Oh yeah and I just recently became a fan of Twilight and was wondering if Forks really existed so I googled it! Lol it's like wayyyy out there too, I didn't realize how far La Push was from it as well.
So once again, thanks for the great read!

Brittany said...

monica! i don't even know how well you remember me, but this is the brittany that worked at bon losee- i just wanted to say hey! i'm a bit of a blogging addict, so i was stoked to find yours, hope you don't mind! btw- after all these years, i recently left the BL to be a stay at home mom, which is awesome. i hope you're doing great! later

Brittany said...

oh, and i can't remember if i already left you a message on here or on facebook, so sorry if this was the second one!

Cole and Amy said...

hey monica, how do you make your header super cute? mine's boring and i want to spice it up.

Chelsea Larie said...

Hey Monica! I just got into this whole blog thing and am already addicted! How are you? You look so happy and its soooooo good to see that you're well! Hope life is fun!

Chelsea

Cole and Amy said...

are you guys still alive? what's new in your lives?