4.10.2011

An Officer & A Gentleman


I've never been more proud of anyone or anything in my whole life.
And I've never been more in love with this guy than I am right now.
And I love it.

On April 8, 2011 Dave was sworn in and officially became a Police Officer, and it was an [almost] perfect day.  The night before, Dave started getting really sick with a sore throat, bad cough, and a fever.  I was so worried because the next morning we had to be up bright and early to go to the ceremony where he would be sworn in.  
He woke up the next morning not feeling any better, so we loaded him up with some drugs and his Dad gave him a blessing before we left for the day.  
We took the long drive that Dave makes daily down to the Academy and were able to watch their flag ceremony, see Dave sworn in & got a tour of where he has been spending the last 5 months.  It was so fun finally being able to see and meet all of the people he has been spending everyday with!

Getting sworn in [Dave is in the 2nd row from the right, 2nd guy in...also the only one with his thumb sticking out :)]

 Scottsdales newest Officers with their class Sergeant
 All of Daves family that were able to make it down for the special day :) [Looks like a big group but is only like 1/4 of them :)]

 Dave with his Sergeant.  He loves this guy and is excited they will be working in the same city. It was fun to finally meet the meanie who had been yelling at my husband for 5 months!

 Class 458's Flag

 SO proud of him, but so heartbroken he felt so awful all morning :( 

After the morning ceremonies, we headed straight for urgent care to see if we could get Dave something to help him feel better.
Waiting at the doctors was the last thing he wanted to be doing that day :(
After a quick checkup by the doctor, we found out he had bronchitis! We got a bunch of prescriptions for him and headed over to Target to get them filled.  Dave stayed in the car to sleep while I ran inside.  When they told me it would be about a 20 minute wait, I called Dave to tell him I might be a while and that it was probably pretty dangerous for me to stay in Target alone for 20 minutes [Target is my weakness.]  Daves response: "I don't care". My translation of Daves response: "I don't care, buy whatever you want, anything and everything your heart desires!".
20 minutes later I walked out of Target with only the small bag of prescriptions.  I was too sad that he was so sick and didn't want to take advantage of him, later he told me I'm a super good wife :).

We went home and he climbed straight into bed for a nap before he had to leave to go to the gradutation, and I spent some time with Daves family at the pool to give him some peace and quiet.
Dave had to leave a little earlier than us and he still wasn't feeling that great when he left.  I wanted so so badly for him to be able to enjoy his graduation 100% and not worry about anything else, but it didn't look like that would happen.  I was just thankful he at least had the energy to get up and go.

On the drive down to graduation with Daves family, I got a text from him.

"My fever broke and I feel pretty good, I can enjoy this evening :) I love you!"

It made me SO happy, and I know that it was because of the blessing he had received that morning.  [And I know that it was the blessing because he has felt crummy every since that night was over]


Class 458 [Dave is on the 3rd row, 2nd one in on the right]

 Dave was given the award for Exemplary Recruit, voted for by his class.

ex·em·pla·ry/igˈzemplərē/Adjective 

1. Serving as a desirable model; representing the best of its kind. 

 
 Anyone who knows Dave would agree in a heartbeat that his class was spot on when electing Dave for this award, he really is exemplary.
 I was able to pin Dave's badge on him for the first time and it felt good, for both of us :)


 And after I pinned it this was Dave telling me "I feel so good", we said quick I love yous, had a quick kiss & I ran back to my seat.

 Family picture at the graduation.  We were so thankful they came to support him!

Dave was also given the honor of speaking at his graduation.  The class had voted a few weeks prior and he was chosen to give the class speech.  He was so excited for the opportunity and he did an AMAZING job. 
I may or may not have told him afterwards that he is like the white Martin Luther King :).



 [the speech typed up]

Nineteen weeks ago we entered the academy grounds as a class of 32 recruits.  We were dressed in black slacks, white button up shirts, and black ties.  We were apprehensive, hopeful, naïve, and when the staff walked across the bridge to greet us that first morning we were intimidated and definitely scared to death.  John F. Kennedy once said, “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.”  We had courage in starting the process, and we all tried to put forth effort; it was here at the academy and with our training staff that we were able to receive the purpose and direction that will define our careers in law enforcement.
Throughout our tenure at ALEA we experienced many unforgettable moments.   In the beginning we were picked apart on the parade deck for any loose thread or lint that Sergeant could see or dream up in order to assign us discipline.  There was one morning when Recruit Peterson was accused of borrowing a transient’s shirt to wear to morning inspection because his shirt was such a mess.  He was punished by having to draw a crime scene on the shirt and turn it in to command staff.  During another inspection Recruit Haymore was challenged on his command presence and was put on the spot to find his “boy voice”.  Later one recruit, who will remain nameless to prevent reprisal, broke the arm of a volunteer who was helping with some defensive tactics training;  
Sometimes the discipline was deserved, like when I forgot to take the locker combination off the back of my lock and subsequently had staff break into my belongings and scatter them throughout the academy grounds.  Or the time when Recruit Mercier was late for class on the second day of the academy and Sergeant left it in our hands whether we should allow him to stay.  Those were some stressful moments that we can now look back on and smile, thankful that we survived.  Even when we thought the offense was minor Sergeant made sure to make the punishment an opportunity to help improve ourselves.  Recruit Fragoso taught us the genealogy of the transformers which helped him develop his research skills; Recruit Butters taught us about rocks and oversaw a wedding ceremony between two pebbles which helped in his public speaking; and Recruit Ellis was given plenty of opportunities to practice report writing.
Within the class room we had Recruit Carey constantly telling jokes, and Recruit Delecki trying to keep everyone under control with his piercing gaze.  Recruit Trevino fought to stay awake in class and Recruit Greene giggled about everything, even the anatomy lesson during our first aid training.  On our physical fitness days we had staff push us to our limits.  We ran, ran and ran some more.  When our staff decided we looked exhausted on the run that meant it was time to lie down… then do several flutter kicks and pushups before jumping to our feet and running some more.  Sergeant referred to this as making sugar cookies with us rolling us around in the dirt in our sweaty work out attire (we all know that is a snicker doodle, but we didn’t want to correct him since sugar cookies are his favorite).  Other memorable moments from workouts included Recruit Bodrero’s short shorts and the affectionate embrace between Recruit Ellis and Sergeant at the top of Warrior’s Hill.  Our staff made the training educational, challenging, and at times enjoyable.  I think we as a class are all more stable in our personal relationships having learned life’s lessons from Sergeant Stumpf who taught us about emotions using Twinkies as his teaching aid.  I’m pretty sure after this speech I will like Sergeant Stumpf more than he likes me.
In addition to the fun memories we were also able to experience personal transformations.  We entered as naïve citizens, and we were developed into warriors.  The Greek Philosopher Heraclitus explained the concept of the warrior.  Speaking of men in battle he said, “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.  Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and the warrior will bring the others back.”  Our training has prepared us to be the ones that run in the direction of danger as the rest of society runs away, to be the ones that are called upon during the most distressing moments in a person’s life, to be the one that is relied upon for comfort, protection, and aid.
In addition to developing the warrior mindset we were able to refine additional qualities that will assist us in our new careers.  Albert Einstein said, “To be a warrior is to learn to be genuine in every moment of your life”.  As you enter the gates to the academy there is a monument with the words “Pride, Honor, and Integrity” engraved on the side.  I believe that to be a true warrior we also must emulate these qualities in our lives and in our careers. 
Pride can be thought of as a vice, but when the pride we have is in our country, our constitution, and in our calling as public servants, pride can become the catalyst in helping us accomplish great achievements.  Having honor is to be honest and fair.   Socrates once said, “The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.  Integrity is sticking to both moral and ethical principles.  To quote Mark Twain, "With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity." 
As we commit ourselves to this profession it will be important to continue to develop these traits, and in so doing we will find success and make the greatest impact on society.  At one point during the academy Sergeant asked us if there was any hope for future generations, reflecting on the path that society is taking.  To that I say that the hope for tomorrow is with us, and as public servants we have an added obligation to ensure the protection of the rights that make this country and state great.  To ensure that the streets are safe and that the citizens of our respective communities can live and work in peace.  We don’t need to be naïve in thinking this will be easy, even though as Rookies we might sometimes act that way, but we need to go forth with courage, exemplifying the warrior mindset and relying on our training to accomplish the task at hand.
Today we are a graduating class of 30 more knowledgeable, less apprehensive recruits.  We are now dressed in uniforms that represent our communities and the great responsibilities that come with wearing the badge.  Our belts are a little heavier and our vests a little congestive, but our characters have grown to compensate.  In “The Divine Comedy” Dante describes a sign that hangs over the entrance to hell.  It reads, “Here one must leave behind all hesitations; here every cowardice must meet its death.”  As we put on our badges we need to follow this same guidance in leaving behind all hesitations and taking on the challenges of this noble career.  Let us go forth with courage and remember the ALEA motto, “Dum Spiramus Fiat Justitia”, “While we breathe, let justice be done!”

 I really can't even describe how proud of Dave I am.  I don't think I expected to feel this way.  On the road to this career choice, there were of course hesitations and fears, for both of us but mainly me.  
But I know that this is where we are supposed to be, and I know this is what Dave is supposed to be doing.
Now that it is official, I can't imagine him doing anything else.  
It is so him
And now the only thing I feel is excitement & pride.  
Even when I try to scare myself, or when people make comments like "wow that is going to be really hard", I don't feel any fear or hesitation anymore.
And I love it.

I've always felt proud being married to Dave.  
He is someone that everyone who knows him, including me, looks up to and admires.
And he has always been a perfect gentleman.

I am now more proud than ever to be married to him,
An Officer & A Gentleman.

5 comments:

The Swainston Family said...

cONGRATS TO Officer Munson and his wife! What a great accomplishment that is! Way to go!

Leslie said...

Congratulations Dave! I'm so excited to hear all the stories of Monica staying home alone.... at night.... =)

Unknown said...

Yay! congrats Dave! And Monica :) How exciting! Steve and I both think he totally looks like a cop...but a nice one of course :) I'm so happy for both of you...what an amazing experience. How awesome that he's doing what he loves. That makes everything worth it. And...his speech was awesome! We sat hear and watched the whole thing :) Way to go Dave!

Anonymous said...

Hi Munsons!
We are so happy and proud of you both. Way to go, Dave in working diligently toward your goals and in being such a wonderful husband to the lovely Monica. And way to go, Monica for being such a fun-loving and supportive wife to your gentleman husband. We miss you two being in the ward! We wish you health and happiness as your life unfolds! You two are super!
:) :) Love always,
Sandy & John Phillips

Sophie Weber said...

Yay!! Congrats Dave! That is awesome!!