We had a wonderful thanksgiving with my family this year, and an even better Black Friday :)
Is that not the most amazing receipt you've ever seen? I know it looks like I spent a million dollars, but it actually totaled $60 something...AMAZING.
We got to babysit our supercute niece...
teaching her to like clothes...



And we made sure to get our christmas decorations up the day after thanksgiving...


our best try at getting us in with the christmas tree... I guess we're just not that into the whole timer thing.


This whole month has been spent christmas shopping, doing some secret santa, making christmas treats, and getting excited for Christmas!
We had planned to go to Leavenworth, WA this last weekend, its a cute little german town that decorates SO cute for christmas it looks like the north pole! Its always snowy and looks so magical, it was #10 on HGTV's Top 10 Christmas Towns! We were super excited, we booked a honeymoon suite, and we were ready for a little get-away, but then the weather surprised us :(.
We ended up getting a HUGE snow storm up here which prevented us from going, the main roads we would have to take were all closed, so we decided we'll have to wait till next year.
I was super sad, but Dave, being the amazing husband that he is, made it all better :)
When he got home from work he surprised me with roses, and then we headed off to a restaurant in Portland called Todai (probably pronounced TO DIE, and no, not to die for, just to die.)

We had been super excited about coming here. Some of our friends had told us about it, and its basically just a sushi/ seafood buffet for $30 a plate.
We had high expectations because we were going to be spending at least $60. We got seated, piled out first plates, and we were both a little disappointed. The food was okay, but just OKAY. We got another plate and still, disappointed. After 2 plates we just decided to go for the dessert because there was no point in stuffing our faces with food that wasn't even that good.
I was super excited for the dessert because there was like a million different kinds, but they were all just tiny bite size pieces, they were so cute!
We decided to just fill up on dessert. After taking one little bite, Dave looks across the table and was like "No way...." and I was like "what?" And he points across the room to a table right next to us and says "theres a mouse".
OH MY GOSH.
I honestly almost had a heart attack.
i jumped out of my chair, told Dave very seriously to just keep his mouth shut, because he's not very good at the whole complaining/making a scene in public thing. He's too nice.
So I went up to the front, told the guys that there was a mouse running around and they looked horrified. I went back to our table but wouldn't sit down and I was holding my coat and purse afraid that the mouse was going to get in something of mine. The carpet was really dark and had a weird print, so when the mouse wasn't moving you couldnt see it at all. People around us could tell I was kind of freaking out about something so they started asking what was wrong, and I had to break the news that this restaurant was disgusting.
There were a couple of guys actually diving for it trying to kill it with a paper towel.
SO GROSS.
I couldnt watch but Dave said one guy got close and the mouse jumped like 8 inches in the air, I dont know how he measured 8 inches but thats what he said. I dont know if they actually got to mouse or not.
The manager came over to our table and apologized, and tried to tell us that he saw the mouse come in the front doors this morning, which i dont believe.
This restaurant is on the 3rd story of a mall, I'm pretty sure this little guy didn't take the escalator up 3 stories and walked right in their restaurant. I'm convinced it came in with a shipment of food and they have mice in their kitchen. The very thought made me so sick I couldn't even eat my dessert :(
I told the manager we weren't going to pay $6o for a place that has mice and he was really nice and understood and actually just took our bill from us. I was thinking we'd have to pay something but we didn't complain anymore after that :)
I mean, it's not like we want free meals there or anything, we are probably already infected for life.
Anyways, after that disasterous, but kind of funny, experience, we shopped around the mall and went to a few stores around Portland. We got some christmas shopping done and it was fun just walking around the city while it snowed :)
On our way home, I called my mom to tell her the story about the restaurant and then we started talking about other things. I was distracted and not paying attention to anything, until I noticed Dave driving really slow around a hotel parking lot. I started to suspect something so I told my mom Dave was being weird and it looked like he was trying to take me to a hotel. I got off the phone and I was so confused, Dave is sweet, but he never does stuff like this, so I just thought he was being weird. I wouldn't get out of the car until he told me what was going on (I'm such a ruiner) so he told me he had made reservations for the night and they weren't refundable so I better get out of the car...
It was so much fun! It was a brand new hotel in portland, that was super modern and decorated really cool, no ugly hotel bedspread :)
Of course our camera was dead, it is always dead, but we had so much fun, and even though we were 5 minutes away from home it felt like a vacation! I have such a sweet husband :) The next day we finished our christmas shopping in the morning because this HUGE storm they have been talking about was supposed to hit by the afternoon, and it did :)
It never snows a lot here, I just heard on the news the last time we had a storm this big was in the 70's. It has been AMAZING.
I LOVE Washington snow. I HATE utah snow. Its so pretty, but I hate it because it doesn't phase anyone and everyone just drives in it and goes to work and still lives normally and it's weird. Washington snow, means stay inside until it melts.
This storm actually meant that my work closed for a WEEK. AMAZING.
We got a ton of snow and then an ice storm on top of that which makes everything soo pretty and glazed in ice. Then we got a ton more snow on top of that!
This is going to be my very first White christmas :)
I love snow up here because the world literally STOPS. Well, at least my world, Dave is at work right now because he is a crazy Utah boy that doesnt let snow stop him.
Church was cancelled for the second week in a row this weekend, which is kind of weird/sad, especially being christmas time, but at the same time its kind of cool to have everything in the world closed, everything in my world.
I convinced Dave to stay home from work on Monday and we had a lazy day inside and went and saw Seven Pounds in the afternoon.
This was the most amazing movie ever. We had no idea what it was about, the previews dont really tell you much, but its way better seeing it and not knowing whats going on. It was the sweetest, saddest, most amazing story! We definitely recommend it!
Then unexpectedly I got sick monday night and have been in bed up until.......right now doing this blog. I was so sad I was sick because I didnt want it to ruin christmas, but I'm feeling a ton better now :) It was either the flu or food poisening, I dont know which, I would totally blame it on TODAI, but I got sick like 4 days later so I don't know...
Anyways, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

We got to babysit our supercute niece...
And we made sure to get our christmas decorations up the day after thanksgiving...
This whole month has been spent christmas shopping, doing some secret santa, making christmas treats, and getting excited for Christmas!
We had planned to go to Leavenworth, WA this last weekend, its a cute little german town that decorates SO cute for christmas it looks like the north pole! Its always snowy and looks so magical, it was #10 on HGTV's Top 10 Christmas Towns! We were super excited, we booked a honeymoon suite, and we were ready for a little get-away, but then the weather surprised us :(.
We ended up getting a HUGE snow storm up here which prevented us from going, the main roads we would have to take were all closed, so we decided we'll have to wait till next year.
I was super sad, but Dave, being the amazing husband that he is, made it all better :)
When he got home from work he surprised me with roses, and then we headed off to a restaurant in Portland called Todai (probably pronounced TO DIE, and no, not to die for, just to die.)

We had been super excited about coming here. Some of our friends had told us about it, and its basically just a sushi/ seafood buffet for $30 a plate.
We had high expectations because we were going to be spending at least $60. We got seated, piled out first plates, and we were both a little disappointed. The food was okay, but just OKAY. We got another plate and still, disappointed. After 2 plates we just decided to go for the dessert because there was no point in stuffing our faces with food that wasn't even that good.
I was super excited for the dessert because there was like a million different kinds, but they were all just tiny bite size pieces, they were so cute!
OH MY GOSH.
I honestly almost had a heart attack.
i jumped out of my chair, told Dave very seriously to just keep his mouth shut, because he's not very good at the whole complaining/making a scene in public thing. He's too nice.
So I went up to the front, told the guys that there was a mouse running around and they looked horrified. I went back to our table but wouldn't sit down and I was holding my coat and purse afraid that the mouse was going to get in something of mine. The carpet was really dark and had a weird print, so when the mouse wasn't moving you couldnt see it at all. People around us could tell I was kind of freaking out about something so they started asking what was wrong, and I had to break the news that this restaurant was disgusting.
There were a couple of guys actually diving for it trying to kill it with a paper towel.
SO GROSS.
I couldnt watch but Dave said one guy got close and the mouse jumped like 8 inches in the air, I dont know how he measured 8 inches but thats what he said. I dont know if they actually got to mouse or not.
The manager came over to our table and apologized, and tried to tell us that he saw the mouse come in the front doors this morning, which i dont believe.
This restaurant is on the 3rd story of a mall, I'm pretty sure this little guy didn't take the escalator up 3 stories and walked right in their restaurant. I'm convinced it came in with a shipment of food and they have mice in their kitchen. The very thought made me so sick I couldn't even eat my dessert :(
I told the manager we weren't going to pay $6o for a place that has mice and he was really nice and understood and actually just took our bill from us. I was thinking we'd have to pay something but we didn't complain anymore after that :)
I mean, it's not like we want free meals there or anything, we are probably already infected for life.
Anyways, after that disasterous, but kind of funny, experience, we shopped around the mall and went to a few stores around Portland. We got some christmas shopping done and it was fun just walking around the city while it snowed :)
On our way home, I called my mom to tell her the story about the restaurant and then we started talking about other things. I was distracted and not paying attention to anything, until I noticed Dave driving really slow around a hotel parking lot. I started to suspect something so I told my mom Dave was being weird and it looked like he was trying to take me to a hotel. I got off the phone and I was so confused, Dave is sweet, but he never does stuff like this, so I just thought he was being weird. I wouldn't get out of the car until he told me what was going on (I'm such a ruiner) so he told me he had made reservations for the night and they weren't refundable so I better get out of the car...
It was so much fun! It was a brand new hotel in portland, that was super modern and decorated really cool, no ugly hotel bedspread :)Of course our camera was dead, it is always dead, but we had so much fun, and even though we were 5 minutes away from home it felt like a vacation! I have such a sweet husband :) The next day we finished our christmas shopping in the morning because this HUGE storm they have been talking about was supposed to hit by the afternoon, and it did :)
It never snows a lot here, I just heard on the news the last time we had a storm this big was in the 70's. It has been AMAZING.
I LOVE Washington snow. I HATE utah snow. Its so pretty, but I hate it because it doesn't phase anyone and everyone just drives in it and goes to work and still lives normally and it's weird. Washington snow, means stay inside until it melts.
This storm actually meant that my work closed for a WEEK. AMAZING.
We got a ton of snow and then an ice storm on top of that which makes everything soo pretty and glazed in ice. Then we got a ton more snow on top of that!
This is going to be my very first White christmas :)
I love snow up here because the world literally STOPS. Well, at least my world, Dave is at work right now because he is a crazy Utah boy that doesnt let snow stop him.
Church was cancelled for the second week in a row this weekend, which is kind of weird/sad, especially being christmas time, but at the same time its kind of cool to have everything in the world closed, everything in my world.
I convinced Dave to stay home from work on Monday and we had a lazy day inside and went and saw Seven Pounds in the afternoon.
This was the most amazing movie ever. We had no idea what it was about, the previews dont really tell you much, but its way better seeing it and not knowing whats going on. It was the sweetest, saddest, most amazing story! We definitely recommend it!Then unexpectedly I got sick monday night and have been in bed up until.......right now doing this blog. I was so sad I was sick because I didnt want it to ruin christmas, but I'm feeling a ton better now :) It was either the flu or food poisening, I dont know which, I would totally blame it on TODAI, but I got sick like 4 days later so I don't know...
Anyways, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
5 comments:
when did you get glasses? but we all loved your stories. jess, dan, and I were all laughing at the mouse taking the escalator three stories. that's impressive! hope everything's going great. Merry Christmas!
Yeah, I too have a hard time believing that a little mouse made it up three stories... resturant managers will say anything to avoid a reporting to the food inspectors.
Glad your Christmas is going well.
No Monica, you are actually a great blogger. That was a true laugh out loud post! By the way it is pronounced toe - die. Appropriate isn't it! Love, Uncle Rich
your receipt length could have won awards...thats amazing. lame friends you have that recommended todai...:)
oh my gosh monica. i miss you. this post cracked me up a number of times.i love the mouse story and your snuggie! i think i may want one for christmas, i should drop a hint to my hub.... :)
Post a Comment